Thursday, February 24, 2011

Design a Room around THIS

A few months ago we had some in-store credit to spend at Ashley furniture.  I love having comfy chairs in every room, and, since our guest bedroom didn't have a chair, I was determined to get one.  Jeff decided early on that the process was just too tedious, and he dismissed himself from the great chair hunt.  So Luke and I got to make our first big furniture purchase together.

I really wanted an uphostered chair, but when Jeff took his tape measure and blocked out the amount of space one would take up in our small little guest room, I went to accent chairs.  And, working within the perameters of our earth-colored home, here's what I got.

It's okay.  I don't love-love it, but I like it.  And I thought it was a pretty good chair, even though I had to pick it entirely from the Internet because (A) they didn't have one in-store to look at and (B) I was working with an impatient 8-month-old. 

I was so proud of myself.  I picked it out by myself.  And, Luke and I even picked it up from the warehouse by ourselves.  Jeff put it together, and I soon realized this chair posed more of a challenge than I thought.

You see, I've always thought of our guest bedroom as the forgotten stepchild.  It took me 7.5 years to paint over the David Weekley company white, and I've always felt like it's been the neglected room.  So I was determined to fix it. 
The room the last time it was photographed, a few years ago.  Obviously staged.  And a little crowded, which doesn't seem like a good idea when people are coming with more stuff (especially my mom, who sometimes comes with a LOT of stuff!).

Anyway, with the help of Lowe's Olympic "Pony Tail" and "Belgium Chocolate" paints the room now looks a little more grown up.  I updated the curtains, changed out some of the wall art, and gave everything a good cleaning.  Check it out. 

Ahhh...freshly ironed 600-thread count crisp cotton sheets.  Sweet dreams!! (P.S. I didn't get all Martha Stewart-y; it was more like an experiment!)

My mom took this picture on our trip to Venice a couple years ago.  I had to frame it and hang it above the bed.  Great memories!

So here's the room now.  I can't say it's my dream room (No pun intended!), but it feels more sophisticated.  It feels like I can leave the door open when company comes over.  I should take my friend Lindsay's advice (http://crawfordhouse.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-million-dollar-idea.html) and add some delicious smells and sleepy music, but I don't want anyone to stay too long.  Haha!  Just kidding!



Anyway, we do love company, so come visit us whenever!  :)




1 comment: