Monday, March 14, 2011

Makeup Alley -- Best Site. Ever! (For Women AND Men!)

I'm not even sure how I came across it, but I'm about to make it my new homepage. :-)

It's called Makeup Alley, and it is just amazing.  People log on and give reviews of their favorite cosmetics and beauty products--everything from the most wallet-conscious stuff to the high-end, stuff-I-can't-afford stuff. 

Nail polish? Lipstick? Hair color? Skincare? Men's Fragrance? This site has reviews it ALL!  Oh, and there's even an option to swap makeup with other people.  Weird?  Maybe!

The last time I checked, the website touted "1,837,826 reviews of 119,368 products." And I really like that the reviews are thoughtful reviews by real people

So check it out.  Indulge yourself!  You will thank me!





Oh, and if you're still reading, I'm going to include my favorite review so far.  This girl cracks me up!

Review of Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit by she25


I highlighted my hair for the first time ever last night using this product. My hair is long, natural red, and layered, about to the middle of my back. My boyfriend had agreed to help me do that back, so I strapped on the cap and went to town. I knew I didn't want it all over, so I only pulled hair through the black holes. The hook sucked, but I wasn't sure if it was the cheap hook, or that I had put the cap on so tight I was choking myself. As I was pulling hair out I wasn't sure if I was pulling too much hair through. I had to pull hair through each hole about three times to get what i thought was enough. It went fine until I got to the top of my head. I had the cap on soo tight that I could barely catch any hair! After an hour of this (seriously, it takes forever if you have long hair) I only had the front done and went to ask my pitch hitter to start on the back of my head. He was dead asleep and I was becoming claustrophobic with that thing on my head. I called my cousin, and asked her to finish it for me. She agreed, and I slipped a hoodie on and I was out, praying I didn't get pulled over while looking like the Tales from the Crypt monster. She quickly calmed my nerves by telling me that I had the right amount of hair through the holes. She started pulling hair through, and it was a nightmare once she got to the back. Long hair and these caps just do not work. Every piece was tangled. I finally untied the death cap and we had to comb out my hair underneath, which still did little good. Okay, after 3 hours of pulling, and cursing, my hair was out. She took it out of every black hole on the entire cap. I took a glance in the mirror and had a moment of panic when the back looked FULL of hair and it looked like there was barely any out of the top. She assured it would be fine, and began slathering my hair with the grindy mixture. Half way through she says "uh oh" which is always so nice to hear when you are getting your hair done, and informed me we did not have enough dye. I should have known this, I wasn't even thinking, so I tossed a $20 and the old box at her husband and told him to make it fast. The old dye set on my head for about 15 min before he got back. It was all over, just thin, and not saturated at all. She threw the second batch on my head, covered it with the platic thing, and we were good to go. The crappy thing about this is trying to seperate your hair under the cap, from the dye. I wrapped a towel around it but was still nervous stuff was getting on it. After about 20-25 minutes I looked in the mirror (for the 20th time) and notcied it looked super blonde. I rinsed my hair in a big sink, and pulled the cap off with great ease. I was beyond shocked because I knew what kind of rats nest lived under there from all of the pulling and tangling. I wrapped my head in a crap towel and headed for the shower. I did have an ["oh &^%!"] moment when I took the towel off and saw platinum streaks in my hair, but after shampoo & conditioner I saw it wasnt so dramatic. My hair def wasn't silky soft anymore, which I expected, I combed it out and blow dried it and was seriously surprised at the results. I thought for sure it would be jacked up. It was not only even, it was a blonde honey color. It of course had a golden tint to it, because of my previously red hair. It lightened my hair nicely, and the streaks are visible. For some reason the hair at the top in the middle of my hair is a bit blonder, but i think it's just becuase that is where the dye was first put, and was on the longest. I wish you could upload before and after pics on here. I think this has to be a fool proof highlighting kit. I thought for sure the cap wasn't tight enough, I didn't have enough hair through, I had too much hair through, not enough dye, on too long....and it turned out great. I can't say i would have left it on any longer, or any shorter. I would say that if you don't want the entire thing highlighted (which will dramatically lighten your hair) don't do the back section of the cap. Even all my hair underneath that I left out is full of highlights. I would also say that if you have long hair, you better have at least 4 hours to do this from start to finish. The only reason I said I wouldn't be buying this product again, is because it was too much of a hassle to get my long hair through. In fact my cousin told me about 20 times she wanted to just stab me in the head with the comb because she was so sick of every piece being tangled. Make sure the person you have help you has a lot of patience. :) This product rocked, and I would suggest it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment