Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Closet Personality

I often have trouble picking the right answers on personality tests.  Do you think with your head or your heart?  Yes. Both.  Do you prefer to be around people, or would you rather be alone?  Uh huh.  Are you laid back, or do you tend to worry about the details?  Oh boy.

I blame it on my Pisces sign:  those two crazy fish, swimming in opposite directions.  That's me.

Mostly I'm a "Type B" personality, though I've certainly spent time in the "Type A" category, too.  I taught high school full time (with three preps of advanced classes out of three possible preps, mind you!), all while taking nine hours of doctoral course work.  That's a big deal, let me say, and it requires serious "A" skills to do that.  However, as a stay-at-home mom, I'm pretty good about not worrying about the details.  Is Luke a happy, well-balanced child?  Sure.  Is he involved in Kindermusik, gymnastics, swim lessons, Gymboree, etc., all while spending his free time working on "Your Baby Can Read" flashcards?  Not a chance.

So, while I was contemplating my split personalities recently, I thought about Luke's closet.  First, let me say that his clothes are all hanging (Well, mostly hanging; my "B" personality gives me the right to leave some of them piled in the chair...) in my closet, because I wash his clothes with ours, and it's just easier.

Second, let me introduce you to my split personalities in action.  Here's the top of Luke's closet.  Notice the labels.  And realize that the clothes are all folded neatly and sorted within those designations AND vacuum-sealed to prevent them from any possible damage (Moths? Air? Flooding??).  Oh, and some were even ironed before they were put away...  AND, let me just say, that the crooked label on the top right box?  That has been driving me crazy.



Now, let's talk about the rest of the closet.  The "Type B" part of my closet.  Insomuch as Luke's closet is the fashionable mullet--you know, business in the front; party in the back!--here's the "back" of the closet.  Yep, it's the part that just keeps getting, shall I say, dumped on.  Most of the boxes I just haven't bothered to break down (Diaper boxes sure make good moving boxes.  And, since we're not moving anytime soon, I've just left them.).  And seriously...what's more important, putting stuff away, or playing with Luke???  (My husband, and all my "Type A" friends, would say to put it all away, I know...).  Here's the bottom of the closet:




So here you have it.  Skeletons in my (Luke's) closet.  And, because looking at it now makes me feel like a messy person, I will probably get busy soon on the "Clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere" game with Luke.  But probably not too soon, because I recognize that I can just close the door, and nobody really needs to know.  :)

1 comment:

  1. You are an awesome writer!!!

    I love that you have the split Type A/B personalities, and while I'm mostly Type B, whenever something big is happening (i.e. vacation with my in-laws house/pet sitting), all I do is obsess over making sure everything is PERFECT!

    Also, I wanted to say 'thank you' for reading my blog and commenting. It feels good to know that someone out there checks it out! :o)

    And, a very happy 18 months to Luke!!! Did you ever get the sharpie off of his face before the pictures?

    ReplyDelete