Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mommy Wolf or, Full Moon Time


"The horror!  What do you mean it's a full moon?"

Teaching high school, I was often aware of the full moon before I even looked up in the sky.  I would feel like I was spending more time on discipline, hear other teachers complain more in the lunch room, and send more assignments down to the in-school suspension room.  My mom's always noticed something similar with her customers in insurance--more wrecks, more problems, and more weird phone calls.

But I hardly ever hear anyone else complain about the full moon.  Which makes me wonder if I'm really some mommy version of the Michael J. Fox's 1980's Teen Wolf.  Am I a warewolf?!?  Why else would the full moon affect me so?

In the world of perfect storms, this month's full moon was a doozy.  My monthly cycle is just now getting back to normal (with pregnancy and nursing and all), and wouldn't you know it made its big appearance the same day as the moon?

Oddly enough, however, it was Luke's behavior that made the biggest difference in the day.

Tuesday, I tried to get Luke to sleep for two hours.  When he wouldn't go down (but kept presenting his tired cry), I decided we needed a little car seat cat nap, and we left for errands.  Wouldn't you know it--Luke slept for 100 minutes in the car!  I read an entire magazine from cover to cover and cut and organized my coupons in the Ikea parking lot while he snored peacefully in the backseat. 

The benefits of his longer-than-expected nap didn't last long, though, and by the time we got to Target thirty minutes later I thought I was going crazy.  I would strap Luke into the baby part of the cart, and he would stand up, mid aisle.  I would take him out and put him in the basket part of the cart, and he would throw every item out of the cart onto the floor.  I would hold him and he would grab at my sunglasses and slap at my eyes and pull my hair.  I would beg, plead, yell, and scold, and he just wouldn't get the picture.  I had never seen such odd behavior from Luke before. 

(Wednesday, by the way, he was much, much, much better and back to his sweet little self.)

So I have to ask. Does anyone else notice things going awry around the full moon?  Anyone else have any crazy full moon stories to share?!

No comments:

Post a Comment