Monday, January 9, 2012

Advent Book Stack

As the last of the holiday decorations goes up into the attic, this year we will also be sending a box of books--holiday/Christmas books, that is. Because I'm an overzealous book collector--and because the Freakonomics guys say that school success is in part determined not so much by how much parents read to their kids, but by how many books are actually in the home--it seems like a logical explanation to banish relocate the books for the year. Plus, won't they be more special if we only get to see them at Christmastime? 
Anyway, Luke turned 2 this year, and I think by next year my big idea will fall upon the graces of perfect timing. And what is my big idea?!? Why, it's an Advent book stack!

I've seen some cute little advent wreath-type ideas going around Pinterest, but I haven't seen the book idea. Only it's such a great idea that I know I didn't just suddenly come upon it myself. I'm sure parents have been doing this for years. But here's my plan.

This year I made an extra special effort to collect at least 24 Christmas/holiday books that are 1)Luke's favorites now, 2)will be age appropriate next year, and/or 3)will become part of our family's holiday reading tradition.

I scoured the collection of books we already had, hit up Half Price Books' after Christmas markdowns, had my mom bring me the books I didn't remember collecting in high school when I so desperately wanted to grow up to teach elementary school, and asked for books for gifts. I ended up with about 30 or so books.



I wrapped the books (some--the ones I think might not be as exciting for Luke next year--got doubled up), placed a number (1-24) label on each book/package of books, added the ribbons I rescued from the Christmas trash at my parents' house, and voila.


Now Luke will have a "present" to open every day next December; it didn't cost me that much, and it will feed his brain and not his horrible sweet tooth habit. I wrapped his favorite two books from this year together as #1 so that he'll be extra excited to get started next year. And of course, we'll add and remove books from our stack as the years continue, which will hopefully create a wonderfully lasting tradition in our family.



Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment