Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Bedding Dilemma? Challenge? Conundrum?

We transitioned Luke's crib to a toddler bed about six months ago.  He doesn't sleep in it, though.  He sleeps with us.  I love it, too, mostly.  He's a cuddler, which is something Jeff has never been, and I rather like having him curl up with me to sleep.  Someday (college? Ha!) he'll have to sleep in his own bed, but for now his room is so far away, I sleep better when he's with me, etc., etc. (I have a ton of reasons why I prefer attachment parenting...).

His room is still his room, however, and we need it to look nice.  Plus, every once in a while he surprises us and tells us he wants to sleep in his bed.  So, it's about time we replace his crib bedding with toddler bedding.  He deserves that.  Plus, his sweet little cousin Austin is scheduled to arrive in a month (Wow!), and we've agreed that Luke's bedding will soon be loved by his younger cousin while he moves on to a big boy setup. 

I've been sad about the change--though my sister tells me we'll get the bedding back (Great...what am I supposed to do with it then?!), and I've never been totally, 100% in love with it--primarily because it's the bedding we chose for Luke's first room.  I'll get over it, though, because I love to decorate more than I love to be sentimental.  So the challenge is on to find a suitable replacement. 

But wait, that's not all.  I can't just go shopping.  I have to get coordinating. 

Because we only have a three-bedroom house, and because we love it when we have visitors (and because I just painted the guest bedroom), we only have one bedroom designated for children. 

First, let me clarify:  I am not pregnant.  I had a miscarriage in April, and that has been a tremendous setback for us, but that's another blog post I can't seem to get myself to write......

Anyway, I had Luke's new room all designed in my head, when I realized that it would be futile to not anticipate the arrival of any future sibling Luke may have. Because they'll have to share the room. 

I love the new bedding I picked out.  Unlike the current pirate bedding, which only mostly coordinates with the rest of our house, the new dinosaur bedding would be a beautiful, harmonious, perfect match.  It's masculine, it's adorable, but it's no good for a little girl.  And let's face it:  as soon as I get the room settled into a boy room, it would happen that I would get pregnant and find out we're having a girl. 

So, it's back to the drawing board.  Stay tuned.  I'll post pics when I make a decision.  :)

Oh, wait. I'll add a pic of Luke's room when he first moved in, for posterity's sake.  Here you go!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Aunt Brandi, you are the BEST! I just know little Austin is going to love using his big cousin Luke's awesome pirate bedding :) and we are going to take good care of it so in case you ever want it back someday, it will be in good shape.

    When you're ready to give it up, just let me know! Austin's nursery is all ready for his arrival but he has nothing to sleep on! HA!

    Love you Sissie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pirate bedding! It is adorable!

    As for what to do for Luke, an option might be to let him have his dinosaurs, especially if he likes it and it is *perfect* for the house.

    And if he gets lucky enough to have a sibling, then if it is a girl, perhaps she can sleep in your room (bassinet?) until she needs her own space, in which it might be perfect time to get more gender neutral bedding.

    And what little girl doesn't like dinosaurs??? You could even add bows to the dinosaurs to make it more innovative...

    Good luck! :o)

    ReplyDelete