Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day-cation

After much consideration, Jeff said he wanted to take a nice drive through the country for Father's Day.  I love to explore new places, and this sounded like a good idea to me (We've spent many a vacation driving, just for the adventure--that's how come we've seen all the states.).  So, after Jeff and Luke went to sleep on Saturday I quickly started searching out "scenic drives" around North Texas.  I found a good one, too, I thought, and I even located a nifty restaurant for lunch and a couple of bonus wineries.  I printed the maps and plans I had found, and I set them where Jeff could see them when he woke up, along with his Father's Day cards.

In the morning he thanked me, and he told me he had just seen the small town I had pinpointed as our destination town on the morning news.  Bad weather, he said.  Small buildings in the middle of town, and nobody knew where they came from.  Hmmm... Alert?  Maybe.  After some deliberation we decided the drive was the thing, after all, and we set out. 

And when we got to our destination it did look bad.  We later found out it was a tornado, and for the sake of those who spent their Father's Day cleaning up, I feel it's probably best if I don't even mention the name of the town.  (Can I just say, however, that I feel I'm too often missing the boat on these things?  I'm planning a fun day, and four hours earlier a classified tornado almost wipes out the town?  And I don't even know about it?  Just too ironic, if you ask me.)

Okay, so, to make a long story short, let me just say that, despite the sadness we felt for those who were in the tornado, we did enjoy a nice drive through the country.  Here are a few of the pictures I took.  Look at them, and then I'll tell you what I learned.


Look very carefully at the telephone pole.  The bottom and top are there, but the middle is missing!  Ah, Nature...
 
Jeff and Luke at the first winery--neither wanted to be in my picture.

This looks odd, I know, but it was so delicious (and surprisingly nuanced!) that I had to buy it.  We also tried strawberry wine!  And plum, and apple, and watermelon!  Fun stuff!!

I have no idea what this really is--someone's ranch, I think--but check out the fun sculptures.  :)


So, a couple of things I think are worth elucidating...

A nice drive through the country is good for the soul.  And it's even better when you're with someone you love.  Also, a stop at a small, local winery for pours of their best samplings is ten times better than just driving through the country.  :)

Also, I realized that there are two ways of looking at things.  First, I really should be better at doing my homework.  You'd think after a bachelor's, a master's and 72+ hours toward a doctorate I would know to check all the variables.  Tornado? Always a possibility.  Did I mention I was also a Girl Scout?  Epic fail on my part.  HOWEVER, there's also the perspective that no matter how prepared we are, there will always be something out of our control.  Tornado?  Always a possibility.

Anyway, I hope every dad out there had a happy Father's Day!  See you next time! :)

2 comments:

  1. I think Jeff needs to get in touch with John to learn more about venturing out. . .exploring the unknowns, etc.
    Thanks for sharing and giving us some ideas.

    Jeanette McKell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tornado in the town you were going to take him to = crazy!
    What a great way to spend Father's day, though!

    ReplyDelete